The cartoon imagery here harks back to the early part of the 20th century and is very nicely done. Set against an American street scene, you’ll see whistles, truncheons, handcuffs, telephones and 4 different policemen spinning around the reels. There’s also a wild and a range of police badges which trigger features. We’ll come to them shortly. There are 5 base game extras to consider first though:
- Scuffle Shuffle feature - this is triggered by landing a full stack of 1 of the higher value Kop symbols on reel 3. Symbols can then shuffle up to 5 times to create a new a potentially winning combination each time.
- Shuffle Up feature - this is a mini version of the Scuffle Shuffle that can trigger at random. Symbols on reels 4 and 5 are moved to create a new combination.
- Symbol Upgrade feature - this randomly triggered extra see symbols in a winning combination upgraded to the next value symbol.
- Mystery Multiplier feature - a random multiplier is applied which can send payouts racing by up to 10x.
- Second Chance Bonus feature - land the bonus symbol on reels 2 and 3 but just miss out on hitting the third and you could get a 2nd shot. 1 of the standard symbols can transform into a bonus-triggering bonus symbol.
There are 3 main bonus features on offer in Keystone Kops - they’re triggered by landing 3 bonus symbols. Which round you get is determined by the scatter on reel 4 – here are the details.
Pilfering Pooch Free Spins Bonus feature
- It’s triggered by getting the Keystone Kops badge scatter on reels 2 and 3 with the Pie Patrol scatter on reel 4.
- You’ll be awarded 8 free spins which are played on an expanded 100-payline machine.
- Look out for the bone that appears after each free spin which activates the Snaking Wilds feature - a Kop wanders round the reels after the bone, creating a trail of up to 21 wilds.
- Random Multiplier feature can apply giving you a multiplier between 2x and 10x.
- You can also win more free spins for getting Keystone Kops badge scatters.
Pie Patrol Free Spins Bonus feature
- This feature is activated when you get the Keystone Kops badge scatter on reels 2 and 3 with the vault door scatter on reel 4.
- Once again, 8 free spins are awarded on a 100-payline machine.
- 2 or 3 Keystone Kop badge scatters will reward you with 2 or 8 additional free spins (respectively).
- Hope to see the hat symbol land on reel 3 as it turns the whole of that reel wild. Random positions on other reels can turn wild here too with up to 32 symbols turning wild! This is known as the Random Wild feature.
- Like above, the Random Multiplier feature can hit on any free spin subject wins to a multiplier up to 10x.
Progressive Picks Bonus feature
- This is played when you get the Keystone Kops badge scatter on reels 2 and 3 with the Pilfering Pooch symbol on the 4th reel.
- Choose from the selection of vaults. Land 3 the same and that’s the prize you’ll win.
- You can win a silver or gold coins award of 500 or 750 coins (respectively)
- You can also win the silver or gold bars progressive jackpots.
As far as volatility goes, Keystone Kops sits somewhere in the middle. This is a medium variance game offering a balanced range of hit frequency and payouts. IGT combined 3 live casino games to create Keystone Kops. Overall, it works well enough. The design is pretty good for an IGT game and there’s plenty of variety on offer from the features.
The slapstick theme won’t be for everyone but if you want a game that offers loads of extras and a none too serious theme then Keystone Kops is worth investigating. I also suggest you try The Heat Is On by Microgaming which also has a police theme.