The set up in Jumanji is a little unusual - the action takes place on a 3x4x5x4x3 reel set where you’ll see lower value royal values and a selection of wild animals spinning around. The best of these is the lion which pays 14 times your stake if you land 5 on a payline. There’s also a standard wild which replaces all symbols bar the scatter.
You’ll find plenty of features on offer in Jumanji, starting with a quartet of base game modifiers that can strike at random:
- Sticky Vines feature - when this hits, all the winning symbols and wilds are held and a respin is awarded. A new payout consideration is then made following the respin.
- Monsoon Wilds feature - 1 or 2 reels will turn totally wild when this triggers.
- Monkey Mayhem feature - after the reels have stopped spinning, the symbols will shuffle to create a new winning combination.
- Wild Stampede feature - a herd of rhinos stampede across the reels, leaving in their trail between 4 and 9 wilds. A payout consideration is made with the new wilds in position.
Jumanji also comes with a triggered Board Game – you need 3 or more Jumanji board game scatters to enter. You’ll notice a board game circles the main reel set. When the Board Game bonus becomes active, you’ll roll a pair of dice and work your way around the board – 3, 4 or 5 scatters will give you 6, 7 or 8 rolls respectively. If the counter lands in a corner position, you’ll trigger a free spins feature – here’s what they offer:
- Vines Free Spins feature – 10 free spins with respins if manage a win. The Sticky Vines feature then applies but vines hold onto the wilds and make them sticky for the duration of the feature.
- Monsoon Free Spins feature – 7 free spins with the Monsoon Wilds feature applying. This means either 1 or 2 reels will become fully wild on every free spin.
- Monkey Free Spins feature – 6 free spins with the Monkey Mayhem feature in play. After each free spin, the symbols shuffle to give you a guaranteed win.
- Stampede Free Spins feature – 5 free spins with between 4 and 9 wilds being added to the reels as the Wild Stampede feature comes into play.
If the counter lands on the Mystery feature, you’ll spin a bonus wheel. Depending on where the pointer lands, you’ll win 1 of the 4 free spin feature, coin wins of between 2 and 10 times your total stake or 2 extra spins on the Jumanji board. You can play all 4 free spins features in 1 sitting too which helps!
The original 1995 movie version of Jumanji was a surprise box office hit, so much so that it spawned a 2018 reboot. This slot game version keeps to the source material. As you’d expect from a collaboration between Net Entertainment and Sony, the design is high-end. They’ve packed in plenty of features to keep the gameplay moving nicely too.
I really loved the original film – I love the fact that the main bonus features are all centred on the infamous board game which made the film so iconic. Even if you haven’t seen it, the extras here make a spin round the Jumanji board well worth making.
Saying that, you can win 504 times your stake on each spin/free spin – if you manage to trigger all 4 free spins features in 1 sitting, you can win pretty big if you’re lucky. If movie themed slot games are your thing, Planet of the Apes from Net Entertainment and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice from Playtech are very good.