The action in Dragon Wins takes place on a 3x4x5x4x3 reel set. You’ll see 5 lower value gemstone symbols spinning around the reels alongside 4 brightly coloured dragons. The impish looking red dragon is the most rewarding, paying 250 coins for a 5-symbol combination. There’s also a wild that offers payouts of up to 500 coins.
Every time you land a dragon winner, you’ll top up its associated meter. Once full, you’ll trigger the Dragon Spins feature where you’ll be awarded 3 Dragon Spins with the corresponding dragon:
- Stacked Dragons – the top-paying red dragon symbol spins fully stacked during your 3 Dragon Spins.
- More Dragons – all dragon symbols morph into the gold dragon. Gemstones can change into the gold dragon too.
- Dragon Reels – all dragons change into the green dragon which fill reels 2, 3 and 4.
- Expanding Dragons – all dragons change into the purple dragon. These can expand to fill entire reels when they hit.
Dragon Wins also comes with a pair of free spins rounds which are triggered by landing 3, 4 or 5 scatters – randomly, you will be awarded 1 of the following features:
- More Wilds Free Games feature – 10 to 15 free spins are awarded here. Selected symbols are transformed into wilds following each free spin. A retrigger is possible giving you up to 30 free spins.
- Wild Reels Free Games feature – here you’ll receive 5 to 10 free spins. On each of them, 1, 2 or 3 of the middle reels will be wild. Again, you can retrigger to give you up to 20 free spins.
Finally, look out for the randomly-triggered Dragon’s Fire feature – any dragon may breathe fire and repeat its win 3, 5 or even 10 times.
Dragon Wins is another impressive slot game from NextGen Gaming. The imagery and animations are well put together and there’s a good variety of extras on offer. It can take a while to trigger them, even the dragon spins, but we enjoyed some solid results when we did land them. The Free Games features is where the big wins will come from – especially if you manage 3 wild reels on each free spin. We’d put the variance in the medium range with maximum wins of 1,400 times your stake on every spin/free spin.
Cutesy looking dragons won’t be for everyone but the features in Dragon Wins make this a playable game though. If you like the theme, Dragonz by Microgaming is very similar. If you want something higher variance, Double Dragons by Yggdrasil Gaming is recommended.